Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

The Orphan Company

 

City: Tyro

County: Lincoln

Location: Union Cemetery, east of Highway 54 on County Road 36

Sponsor: ACWSC, 9th Ark. Inf. SCV Camp 652, ANCRC

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 618375
UTM-Y: 3744444
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 33.83361791
Longitude: -91.72069122

Marker Text

The Orphan Company

In 1861, John G. Gibson recruited a company at Tyro, Ark., that would become Co. H, 3rd Arkansas Infantry, nicknamed the Orphan Company, in the Army of Northern Virginia. Thirty-three Arkansas men joined in 1861, 22 in 62, and one in 63. Kentuckians and Virginians also served in Co. H. The unit fought at Antietam, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor and Petersburg. It surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. Of the 116 men who had served in the Orphan Company, only nine were left at Appomattox.

No. 81

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
9th Arkansas Infantry Camp 652, Sons of Confederate Veterans
Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2014

Back to List

Linking Policy