Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Saline County in the Civil War

 

City: Benton

County: Saline

Location: Saline County Courthouse, Main Street

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Saline County History and Heritage Society, Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 537880
UTM-Y: 3824904
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.565192
Longitude: -92.587068

Marker Text

Saline County in the Civil War

Saline County held 6,640 people in 1860,

including 749 slaves. Jabez. M. Smith, the

county’s secession convention delegate, voted

to leave the Union. The Saline Guards formed

in 1861 and became Co. E, 1st Arkansas

Infantry (C.S.). Their captain, James Fagan,

ended the war a major general. As many as

1,300 Saline County men in 24 companies

fought for the Confederacy; two companies

of local men formed for Union service. The

Union army occupied Benton in late 1863

and built fortifications, including one

that was named after Col. Cyrus Bussey.

(Continued on other side.)

No. 87

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Saline County History and Heritage Society

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2014

Saline County in the Civil War

(Continued from other side)

In 1864, David O. Dodd, whose grandparents

David and Sarah Dodd lived on Military

Road in Benton, was hanged as a spy in Little

Rock. The Battle of Jenkins’ Ferry, the last

action of the Camden Expedition, was fought

just past the southern border of Saline County

April 29-30. Col. William Crawford of Benton

led a Confederate cavalry unit and fought

at Prairie D’Ane and Poison Spring, among

others. A skirmish between Col. John Logan’s

Confederate troops and Union cavalry was

was fought at Hurricane Creek near modern-

day Bryant on October 23, 1864.

No. 87

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Saline County History and Heritage Society

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2014

Back to List

Linking Policy