Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Sacred Heart Academy

 

City: Helena-West Helena

County: Phillips

Location: Corner of Arkansas and Biscoe streets

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 721055
UTM-Y: 3822629
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.52162557
Longitude: -90.59171221

Marker Text

Sacred Heart Academy
In 1858 a boarding school and convent was established on this site in the former residence of Col. Henry L. Biscoe by four Sisters of Mercy who came from Ireland with Bishop Andrew Byrne. The school was in the middle of heavy fighting during the Battle of Helena. July 4, 1863, and was used as a hospital by the Sisters who tended both Union and Confederate wounded. The school was closed from 1868 to 1879 at which time it was reopened by the Sister of Charity from Nazareth, Kentucky.
Erected by the Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission 1963

Back to List

Linking Policy