Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

"Old" Carrollton

 

City: Carrollton

County: Carroll

Location: U.S. Highway 412 at County Road 917

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 471105
UTM-Y: 4013116
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 36.26253466
Longitude: -93.32166997

Marker Text

Old Carrollton
Settled 1833, was on the much-traveled Carrollton-Forsyth-Springfield road during the Civil War. A training center for Southern troops, it was important in movement of troops and supplies. Guerrilla warfare ravaged the area. Skirmishes occurred January 1863, March and August 1864. Every building except two stables was destroyed. Herrons army camped here in January 1863, after the Battle of Prairie Grove (Dec. 7, 1863). As county seat (1834-1875) it was an important trading and political center. Seventeen children, survivors of Mountain Meadows Massacre (Utah, 1857) were returned here.
Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission

Back to List

Linking Policy