Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Pitman's Ferry

 

City: Supply

County: Randolph

Location: Highway 166

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 693386
UTM-Y: 4036735
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 36.45638658
Longitude: -90.84195696

Marker Text

Pitmans Ferry
Established by William Hix about the year 1803, the ferry at this place was one of the earliest in Arkansas. It was located on the old southwest trail or,Old Military Road, the major route from St. Louis and the east to Texas and Mexico. A post office opened at Hixs Ferry in 1819, the year Arkansas became a separate territory.
Hixs Ferry became Pitmans Ferry when it was acquired by Preston R. Pitman, the first judge of Randolph County. In 1861 Pitmans Ferry was headquarters of the Confederate Military District of Upper Arkansas commanded by Confederate General William J. Hardee. Civil War skirmishes were fought here October 27 and November 25 1862.
Erected by Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission

Back to List

Linking Policy