Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Lewisburg in the Civil War

 

City: Morrilton

County: Conway

Location: Lewisburg Cemetery, SW corner of Burrough and Bridge streets

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Lewisburg Cemetery Fund, Arkansas Humanities Council, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 524078
UTM-Y: 3888830
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 35.142080
Longitude: -92.735735

Marker Text

Lewisburg in the Civil War

While a Confederate unit, the Conway Mounted Rifles, formed at Lewisburg in May 1861, the town was a Union base for much of the war. A garrison was established Sept. 28, 1863, and Col. Abraham H. Ryan recruited the 3rd Arkansas Cavalry (U.S.) there. The base was on high ground, with cannon aimed at Lewisburg with fortifications along the streets. Officers boarded at the Gordon Anderson house in town. In 1864 a smallpox epidemic ravaged the garrison and nearly

100 Union soldiers died of it and other camp diseases that the regiment suffered.

(Continued on other side.)

No. 131

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Lewisburg Cemetery Fund

Arkansas Humanities Council

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

2015

Lewisburg in the Civil War

(Continued from other side.)

The 3rd Arkansas fought against guerrillas mainly, but abandoned Lewisburg twice in 1864 when large bodies of Confederates came into the area. The regiment mustered out at Lewisburg on June 30, 1865. A Freedmen’s Bureau office opened in June 1866 to aid freed people with labor contracts and to run a school. In 1868 the town was embroiled in conflict between the Ku Klux Klan and the Republican militia during voter registration. Parts of Lewisburg were burned twice during December, and Gov. Powell Clayton declared martial law in Conway County on Dec. 8, 1868.

No. 131

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Lewisburg Cemetery Fund

Arkansas Humanities Council

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

2015

Back to List

Linking Policy