Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Holcomb's Spring in the Civil War

 

City: Springdale

County: Washington

Location: Corner of Mill Street and Johnson Avenue adjacent to the Razorback Regional Greenway

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission; Shiloh Museum of Ozark History; Northwest Arkansas Economic Development District, Inc.; Jon Woods; Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 393826
UTM-Y: 4005198
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 36.186447
Longitude: -94.130538

Marker Text

Holcomb’s Spring in the Civil War

Holcomb’s Spring, settled in the 1840s, saw many troop movements during the Civil War. Regular Baptist Church services halted in January 1862 as soldiers entered the area. Confederate troops camped there in October 1862 and July 1863. By February 1863 it was described as “once a beautiful place, now deserted.” Many families abandoned the area by September 1863, and guerrillas were reported there in December. Skirmishes were fought nearby Aug. 30, 1863, and Aug. 24, 1864. Normalcy returned when the Baptist Church services resumed in April 1866.

No. 30

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Shiloh Museum of Ozark History

Northwest Arkansas Economic Development District, Inc.

Jon Woods

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2012

Back to List

Linking Policy