Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Hicks' Station in the Civil War

 

City: Lonoke

County: Lonoke

Location: Sunset Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 1590 Hwy. 70 E

Sponsor: ACWSC, Grand Prairie CWRT, Individual Donors, Preserve America

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 603050
UTM-Y: 3849696
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.78425438
Longitude: -91.87367931

Marker Text

Hicks Station in the Civil War
Hicks Station, located on the Memphis & Little Rock Railroad between DeValls Bluff and Huntersville (N. Little Rock), guarded the eastern approaches to the capital city. During the Little Rock Campaign, Confederate cavalry used it as a staging area before the Aug. 25, 1863, battle at Brownsville. Union forces set up a field hospital there after the fights at Brownsville and at Reeds Bridge on Aug. 27. Union forces established a permanent presence there, and the Third Michigan Cavalry garrisoned the station, guarding the railroad from C.S.A. raiders.
No. 16
Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Grand Prairie Civil War Roundtable
Max and Gladys Slaughter Felton
Danny and Sue Munnerlyn Slaughter
Rick and Harriet Meadows
Bobby and Kathy Hunt Trickey
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior
2011

Back to List

Linking Policy