Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Henry Morris House

 

City: Bradford

County: White

Location: 288 Morris Drive

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission; White County Historical Society; The Family of Henry Morris ; Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 624664
UTM-Y: 3927628
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 35.484412
Longitude: -91.625758

Marker Text

Henry Morris House

During the spring of 1862, Union troops of the Army of the Southwest camped near the 1860 Henry Morris House as they threatened the Confederate capital at Little Rock. On May 16, Col. Peter Osterhaus ordered that U.S. soldiers stop requisitioning food and forage from the Morris farm. Morris would make a claim for $1,737 for supplies taken or destroyed by the Union army. He later joined the 8th Arkansas Cavalry (C.S.) and fought in Arkansas and Missouri, surviving

the war only to die from a mule’s kick in 1868. He is buried on the grounds of the home.

No. 89

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

White County Historical Society

The Family of Henry Morris

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2014

Back to List

Linking Policy