Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Fort Curtis

 

City: Helena-West Helena

County: Phillips

Location: Near junction of Perry and Columbia Streets

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 721139
UTM-Y: 3823454
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.5290409
Longitude: -90.59058361

Marker Text

Fort Curtis
In August 1862 the Union forces occupying Helena erected on this site a redoubt of earth and timbers to serve as the key to the citys defenses. For Curtis, named for the Union general in command at the time of construction, was one of five fortified positions which enabled Union soldiers to repulse a Confederate attack on July 4, 1863, designed to recapture the city and relieve the siege at Vicksburg. On the day of the attack 4,129 Union officers and men, under General Prentiss, were positioned in and around the fort against 7,648 Confederate troops under General Holmes.
Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission 1963

Back to List

Linking Policy