Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Engagement at Elkins' Ferry/The Cornelius Farm

 

City: Prescott vic.

County: Nevada

Location: Missionary Grove Baptist Church, Nevada County Road 37

Sponsor: ACWSC, Nevada Co. Depot Museum, Missionary Grove Baptist Ch., Preserve America

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 466704
UTM-Y: 3751866
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 33.90666831
Longitude: -93.36015556

Marker Text

Engagement at Elkins Ferry

Union Gen. Frederick Steeles army reached the Little Missouri River at Elkins Ferry on the evening of April 2, 1864, during its drive toward Shreveport, La. Advance troops crossed the river and were reinforced the next morning when Confederate Gen. John Marmadukes cavalry began skirmishing. More Union troops advanced in time to face a full-scale Confederate attack on April 4. Union troops repulsed an attempt to capture their artillery battery, and the arrival of U.S. reinforcements convinced Marmaduke to fall back and regroup at Prairie DAne.

No. 43

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Nevada County Depot and Museum
Missionary Grove Baptist Church
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior

2012

The Cornelius Farm

After the fight at Elkins Ferry, the Union army advanced from the river bottomlands, passing strong earthworks the Confederates abandoned while falling back to Prairie DAne. Union troops camped in the area for several days while awaiting reinforcements from Ft. Smith, some at the Cornelius farm, which was located near the church here today. The Cornelius family had pioneered the area in the 1830s and owned Elkins Ferry during the Civil War. The Union army would advance from here on April 10 toward the entrenched Confederate troops waiting at Prairie DAne.

No. 43

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Nevada County Depot and Museum
Missionary Grove Baptist Church
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior

2012

Back to List

Linking Policy