Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Drew County Troops

 

City: Monticello

County: Drew

Location: Drew County Courthouse, 201 S. Main St.

Sponsor: ACWSC, Col. William F. Slemons Chapter 977, United Daughters of the Confederacy, ANCRC

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 612060
UTM-Y: 3721387
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 33.373637
Longitude: -91.472966

Marker Text

Drew County Troops

Sixteen Confederate companies were raised

in Drew County during the Civil War. Two,

the “Confederate Stars” and “Selma Rifles,”

joined the 3rd Arkansas Infantry and fought

with the Army of Northern Virginia. Three,

the “Cut-off Guards,” “Confederate Grays”

and “Dixie Guards,” joined the 9th Arkansas

Infantry, dubbed the “Parsons Regiment”

because it held 42 ministers. The “Monticello

Guards” of the 1st Arkansas Infantry and

“Monticello Cavalry” of the 6th Battalion

were raised in Drew County. All of these

fought battles east of the Mississippi River.

(Continued on other side.)

No. 91

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Col. William F. Slemons Chapter 977, United Daughters of the Confederacy

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2015

Drew County Troops

(Continued from other side)

Several Drew County companies served west

of the Mississippi River. Co. L of Fagan’s

Cavalry enlisted in Monticello May 12, 1862.

Companies A, B and E of the 26th Arkansas

Infantry Regiment joined the Confederate

army in May 1862. The “Drew County Grays”

of the 24th Arkansas Infantry joined June 16,

1862. They were captured at Arkansas Post

in January 1863 and after leaving Union

captivity served the rest of the war with

the Army of Tennessee. Drew County men formed

Companies B and C, 12th Arkansas Cavalry,

and the Monticello Home Guards in late 1863.

No. 91

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Col. William F. Slemons Chapter 977, United Daughters of the Confederacy

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2015

Back to List

Linking Policy