Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Dooley's Ferry/Dooley Hill Cemetery

 

City: Spring Hill vic.

County: Hempstead

Location: Hempstead County Road 7 (Dooley Hill Road) south of Spring Hill

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Hempstead County Historical Society, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 434941
UTM-Y: 3707740
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 33.5072291
Longitude: -93.7004779

Marker Text

Dooley’s Ferry

Dooley’s Ferry was settled around 1830 at a crossing of the Red River into Texas. The Confederate army moved troops and supplies through here to serve military and civilian

needs. Recognizing the area’s importance, Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder ordered fortifications built on the high ground above the crossing. Soldiers labored in late 1864 and early 1865 to construct a network of earthworks that stretched more than a mile between Red Lake and Clear Lake. The works were never tested in battle. Dooley’s Ferry ceased its operations in the 1930s.

No. 119

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Hempstead County Historical Society

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

2015

Dooley Hill Cemetery

An African American Baptist church formed at Dooley’s Hill after the Civil War and its associated cemetery lies amid the remains of the Confederate trenches built during the war. While James Wyatt, Charlie Howard and Arthur Huntley purchased six acres for the cemetery in 1946, some marked graves date from as early as 1912. A church established by the Wyatt family was active here at around that time. Chelse Wyatt, ordained in Lafayette County on October 14, 1883, was the first minister of record for the congregation. The church is no longer here.

No. 119

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Hempstead County Historical Society

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

2015

Back to List

Linking Policy