Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Crocketts Bluff

 

City: Crocketts Bluff

County: Arkansas

Location: Highway 153 near junction with Starks Road

Sponsor: Grand Prairie Historical Society and Crocketts Bluff Community Center

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 663538
UTM-Y: 3812632
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.44226250426165
Longitude: -91.21993370112972

Marker Text

Crocketts Bluff
Named for Captain Robert Crockett, grandson of the famouse David (Davey) Crockett, this community was a flourishing river port during the second half of the 19th century. The Crockett Rifles (Company H, 1st Arkansas Infantry), first Confederate company raised in Arkansas County and one of the first in the state, was recruited in this vicinity by Captain Robert H. Crockett in 1861. A new ere began in 1906 hwen Henry Prange successfully cultivated a small plot of rice in his front yard.
Presented by: Grand Prairie Historical Society, Crocketts Bluff Community Center

Back to List

Linking Policy

Web Design & Web Development by Aristotle