Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Arkansas Peace Society/Federal Raids on Burrowville

 

City: Marshall

County: Searcy

Location: Searcy County Courthouse Square

Sponsor: ACWSC, Searcy Co. Hist. Soc., Arkansas Humanities Council, DAH, Preserve America

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 533419
UTM-Y: 3973694
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 35.90697458028589
Longitude: -92.62963886525378

Marker Text

Arkansas Peace Society
In November 1861, Confederate authorities discovered a secret Peace Society in north Arkansas whose members opposed secession. Col. Samuel Leslie called out the Searcy County militia to round up members of the group. More than 90 men were arrested and 87 of them were chained and marched to Little Rock. They were forced to enlist in Col. John S. Marmaduke’s 18th Arkansas Infantry. Most of those who survived battle and disease were back in Searcy County by 1862, heading to Missouri where many would join regiments in the United States army.
No. 12
Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Searcy County Historical Society
Arkansas Humanities Council
Department of Arkansas Heritage
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior
2010

Federal Raids on Burrowville
A 40-man detachment of the Second Arkansas Cavalry (U.S.) hit Confederate guerrillas at Burrowville (now Marshall) on December26, 1863, killing six, wounding four and capturing sixteen. A larger Union forceraided into north Arkansas in late January 1864. The Arkansas and Missouri cavalrymen fought Col. A.R. Witt’s Confederate troops at Clear Creek and Tomahawk on January 22, then rode into Burrowville the next day. U.S. troopers rode on to Clinton as Witt’s soldiers retreated southward. The Searcy Co. Courthouse burned then: cause unknown.
No. 12
Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Searcy County Historical Society
Arkansas Humanities Council
Department of Arkansas Heritage
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior
2010

Back to List

Linking Policy

Web Design & Web Development by Aristotle