Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Confederate Headquarters in Harrisburg

 

City: Harrisburg

County: Poinsett

Location: Poinsett County Courthouse, 401 Market Street

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Poinsett County, Poinsett County Historical Society, Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 706868
UTM-Y: 3937941
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 35.563572
Longitude: -90.717428

Marker Text

Confederate Headquarters in Harrisburg

As word of the collapse of the Confederate armies east of the Mississippi River came to Arkansas, Confederate Gen. M. Jeff Thompson established headquarters of the Northern Sub-District of Arkansas at Harrisburg in mid-April 1865. Thompson and Union Gen. G.M. Dodge began negotiating surrender terms, with Dodge offering the same terms U.S. Grant gave to

Robert E. Lee in Virginia. On May 11, 1865, Thompson surrendered his troops in northeast Arkansas, and 7, 454 of his men were paroled at Wittsburg and Jacksonport, saying “all they wanted was to be allowed to live at home.”

No. 69

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Poinsett County

Poinsett County Historical Society

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2014

Back to List

Linking Policy