Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Confederate Capital

 

City: Washington

County: Hempstead

Location: Historic Washington State Park at 1836 Hempstead County Courthouse on Franklin Street

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Historic Washington State Park, Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 436883
UTM-Y: 3737579
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 33.7764584
Longitude: -93.6816843

Marker Text

Confederate Capital

When Union troops occupied Little Rock on Sept. 10, 1863, Arkansas’s Confederate government relocated to Washington, using the 1836 Hempstead County Courthouse as their Capitol building. The legislature met here Sept. 22 to Oct. 2, 1864, and the state Supreme Court held sessions here. Washington served as headquarters of the Military District of Arkansas and as a supply post for Trans-Mississippi Confederate troops. Hospitals were established in town for sick soldiers. The 12th Michigan Infantry came here in June 1865 and used the courthouse as a jail.

No. 97

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Historic Washington State Park

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2015

Back to List

Linking Policy