Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Confederate Camp at Richmond/Richmond Church and Cemetery

 

City: Richmond

County: Little River

Location: Richmond Cemetery on County Road 17 (Old Richmond Road)

Sponsor: ACWSC, Little River County Historical Society, Preserve America

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 390213
UTM-Y: 3722672
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 33.63821966
Longitude: -94.18381428

Marker Text

Confederate Camp at Richmond

On Aug. 28, 1864, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price led an army from Camden on a raid that took them through Missouri, Kansas and the Indian Territory before they returned to Arkansas at Laynesport in Little River County on Dec. 2, having suffered heavy losses. Many of Prices Missouri troops established a camp at Richmond on Dec. 5, recovering from the campaigns rigors while waiting to learn where their winter camp would be located. The Confederate troops left their camp at Richmond on Dec. 24 to join the rest of the army at Washington.

No. 42

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Little River County Historical Society
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior

2012

Richmond Church and Cemetery

Around 1850, Judge Robert H. Scott and his wife, Sarah Nicholson Scott, donated about 5 acres for a Baptist church and cemetery near their home, about 2 miles east of Richmond. Lewis W. Davis, whose son Jeff would later serve as Arkansas governor and U.S. Senator, preached here. Confederate soldiers who died while camped near here for 3 weeks in December 1864 were buried in the cemetery. Several of Judge Scotts relatives who fought in the war lie in the family plot. As many church members left the area, the church was sold and moved in 1869.

No. 42

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Little River County Historical Society
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior

2012

Back to List

Linking Policy