Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Clarksville in the Civil War

 

City: Clarksville

County: Johnson

Location: Johnson County Courthouse, Main Street

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission; Johnson County Historical Society; Johnson County; Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 457800
UTM-Y: 3925369
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 35.470925
Longitude: -93.465139

Marker Text

Clarksville in the Civil War

Clarksville was a key point in the defense of the Arkansas River Valley during the Civil War. Confederate troops occupied the town several times before Union forces took Little Rock and Ft. Smith, gaining control of the valley. Lt. Col. G.M. Waugh and men of the 2nd Arkansas Infantry (U.S.) used Clarksville as a base in early 1864 to fight guerrilla bands and Confederates cutting telegraph lines in the area. When Gen. J.O. Shelby’s Confederates crossed the river in May 1864, Waugh left, torching much of Clarksville, including the Methodist church.

No. 103

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Johnson County Historical Society

Johnson County

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2015

Back to List

Linking Policy