Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Clarendon in the Civil War

 

City: Clarendon

County: Monroe

Location: 214 Madison

Sponsor: ACWHT,City of Clarendon, Arkansas Humanities Council, NEH, ANCRC

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 654492
UTM-Y: 3840286
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.413469
Longitude: -91.184821

Marker Text

Clarendon in the Civil War

Clarendon was a major White River port and

crossroads when the Civil War began. Six

Confederate companies were raised here and

in Monroe County in 1861-2. A Union fleet

tried to supply the Army of the Southwest

here in June 1862, but turned back because

of low water. Nearby Aberdeen saw fighting

on July 6 and 9, and Union cavalry from

Helena raided the area in mid-August 1862.

In mid-January 1863, 1,200 Union cavalry

from Helena rode to Clarendon to threaten

Little Rock after the Arkansas Post battle,

only to be foiled by flooded conditions.

(Continued on other side.)

No. 63

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

City of Clarendon

Arkansas Humanities Council

National Endowment for the Humanities

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2013

Clarendon in the Civil War

(Continued from other side)

Union Gen. Frederick Steele’s army camped

at Clarendon in August 1863 during the

campaign to take Little Rock, and they

suffered badly from malarial conditions

and burned much of the town. On March 15,

1864, the 8th Missouri Cavalry (U.S.)

lost four men in a skirmish here, and on

June 24 Gen. J.O. Shelby’s Confederates

captured and sank the U.S.S. Queen City.

Union troops pursuing Shelby then burned

more buildings. Guerrillas shot at the U.S.

steamer J.D. Perry here on Sept. 9. At

war’s end, not a building stood in Clarendon.

No. 63

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

City of Clarendon

Arkansas Humanities Council

National Endowment for the Humanities

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2013

Back to List

Linking Policy