Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Chalk Bluff in the Civil War

 

City: St. Francis

County: Clay

Location: From U.S. Highway 62 in St. Francis, travel west on County Road 341 for 1.5 miles. At intersection, turn right and go north on County Road 347 for 1.5 miles to the natural area.

Sponsor: ACWSC, Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 753841
UTM-Y: 4040647
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 36.47751488
Longitude: -90.16669845

Marker Text

Chalk Bluff in the Civil War
Chalk Bluff was a major crossing point for raids between Arkansas and Missouri. On May 1-2, 1863, Gen. John S. Marmadukes Confederates, after crossing the swollen St. Francis River on a makeshift bridge, fought off pursuing Union troops, ending Marmadukes second Missouri raid. On July 19, 1863, Gen. J.W. Davidsons cavalry crossed at Chalk Bluff, beginning a drive down Crowleys Ridge that ended with the Union capture of the capital at Little Rock on September 10, 1863. Chalk Bluff today is one of Arkansass state natural areas.
Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission

Back to List

Linking Policy