Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Camp Shaver

 

City: Pocahontas

County: Randolph

Location: 2500 Highway 62 West

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, In Memory of James R. “Jim” Kincade, Col. Robert G. Shaver Camp #1655, Sons of Confederate Veterans, W. Danny Honnoll and M. Ray Jones, ACWSC Commissioners, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 680401
UTM-Y: 4014441
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 36.25805
Longitude: -90.99194

Marker Text

Camp Shaver

Col. Robert G. Shaver established a camp near Pocahontas to train troops for the 7th

Arkansas Infantry, C.S.A., including two Randolph County companies. With 1,250 men and officers, the 7th was one of the largest regiments raised in Arkansas. They trained at Camp Shaver under Gen. William Hardee and many died of disease there. Moving east of the Mississippi River, the regiment had heavy losses at Shiloh and Perryville, was nicknamed “the Bloody 7th” and was consolidated with the 6th Arkansas. Both Confederate and Union troops used the camp throughout the war.

No. 129

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

In Memory of James R. “Jim” Kincade

Col. Robert G. Shaver Camp #1655, Sons of Confederate Veterans

W. Danny Honnoll and M. Ray Jones, ACWSC Commissioners

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

2015

Back to List

Linking Policy