Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Cadron in the Civil War

 

City: Conway

County: Faulkner

Location: Cadron Settlement Park, 6200 Highway 319 West

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Faulkner County Historical Society, Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 541357
UTM-Y: 3885357
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 35.107284
Longitude: -92.546139

Marker Text

Cadron in the Civil War

Confederate forces used Cadron as a base in the war’s early years, and Union troops were here after taking Little Rock in September 1863. The site was valuable for the saw and grist mills nearby, the telegraph line that ran to Little Rock, and the ferry, though that was destroyed by October 1864. Union troops were stationed at Cadron in 1864 and 1865, stockpiling supplies for soldiers operating against Confederate troops and guerrillas in the region and watching for movements of troops toward Missouri. Hundreds of Confederates surrendered here in 1865.

No. 82

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Faulkner County Historical Society

Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2014

Back to List

Linking Policy