Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Boone-Murphy House/Union Strategy and Pine Bluff

 

City: Pine Bluff

County: Jefferson

Location: 714 W. 4th Avenue

Sponsor: ACWSC, City of Pine Bluff, Local Partners, ANCRC

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 591169
UTM-Y: 3787650
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.22592926
Longitude: -92.01015504

Marker Text

Boone-Murphy House

Following the Union capture of Little Rock on Sept. 10, 1863, citizens of Pine Bluff asked that a Union garrison be stationed there for their protection. Gen. Frederick Steele sent the veteran 5th Kansas Cavalry and 1st Indiana Cavalry to establish a post. Union commander Col. Powell Clayton set up his headquarters and home in the Boone-Murphy House, which was then located at 702 W. Second Ave. Claytons troops, aided by former slaves from nearby refugee camps, fought off Confederate attackers Oct. 25, 1863, and retained control of Pine Bluff.

No. 29

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Pine Bluff Advertising and Tourist Promotion Commission
Pine Bluff Historic District Commission
Heckatoo Heritage Foundation
Jefferson County Civil War Sesquicentennial Collaborative
Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2012

Union Strategy and Pine Bluff

Beginning with a January 1863 victory at Arkansas Post, Union strategists sought to gain control of the Arkansas River valley. Control of the region would both divide the Trans-Mississippi Confederacy and help to return a secessionist capital to the Union. U.S. forces captured Little Rock and Fort Smith in September 1863, winning effective dominance of the river valley. A permanent garrison at Pine Bluff both cemented Union power over the lower Arkansas River and command of a vital crossroads, but also made a tempting target for Confederates.

No. 29

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
Pine Bluff Advertising and Tourist Promotion Commission
Pine Bluff Historic District Commission
Heckatoo Heritage Foundation
Jefferson County Civil War Sesquicentennial Collaborative
Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

2012

Back to List

Linking Policy