Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Battery B

 

City: Helena-West Helena

County: Phillips

Location: Near junction of Liberty and North Summit streets

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 720474
UTM-Y: 3823942
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.53358057
Longitude: -90.59769713

Marker Text

Battery B
Union guns emplaced on this hill defended Old St. Francis Road, the approach used by CSA General Marmadukes Division, consisting of the 1st Brigade under Col. Shelby and Col. G.W. Thompson and the 2nd Brigade under Col. Colton Greene, in their attack on Helena, July 4, 1863. Felled timbers obstructing the road forced the cavalrymen to dismount and advance on foot to be halted by the 29th Iowa and guns of Battery A. On CSA General Holmes orders, Marmaduke withdrew his command at 11 A.M. with 67 casualties.
Erected by the Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission 1963

Back to List

Linking Policy