Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Action at Moscow/Moscow Church and Cemtery

 

City: Prescott

County: Nevada

Location: Junction of County Road 23 and County Road 260

Sponsor: Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Prescott/Nevada County Depot Museum, In Memory of Max Phillips, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 466098
UTM-Y: 3737464
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 33.776760
Longitude: -93.366146

Marker Text

Action at Moscow

After skirmishing for several days at Prairie D’Ane, Gen. Frederick Steele turned his starving Union army away from Louisiana and headed toward Camden to seek supplies. Confederate cavalry under T.P. Dockery and S.B. Maxey attacked Steele’s rear guard, the Frontier Division from Fort Smith, here at the village of Moscow on April 13, 1864. Union cavalry, infantry and artillery fought back, driving the Confederates several miles before breaking off and marching to

rejoin Steele. U.S. losses were 7 dead and 24 hurt. Confederate losses were not reported.

No. 108

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Prescott/Nevada County Depot Museum

In Memory of Max Phillips

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

2015

Moscow Church and Cemetery

Moscow was a village and trade center on the road between Camden and Washington when the Civil War broke out. The Moscow Methodist Church had been established as early as 1842, but the oldest marked grave in the adjacent cemetery is dated 1864. The Cairo and Fulton Railroad founded Prescott in 1873, which led to Moscow’s decline, though the Moscow Cemetery served as the burial ground for the new city until 1880 and some of the area’s most prominent citizens are buried here. Moscow served as a Methodist Protestant Church in the late 19th century.

No. 108

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission

Prescott/Nevada County Depot Museum

In Memory of Max Phillips

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

2015

Back to List

Linking Policy