Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Program

Huntersville

 

City: North Little Rock

County: Pulaski

Location: River Trail just west of Main Street Bridge

Sponsor: ACWSC, NLR History Comm., ANCRC, Preserve America

GEO Coordinates

UTM-X: 566881
UTM-Y: 3845865
UTM Zone: 15

Latitude: 34.75272601
Longitude: -92.26926928

Marker Text

Huntersville

Arkansass sole Civil War rail line, the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad, ran from DeValls Bluff to what is now North Little Rock. After U.S. troops occupied the capital in 1863, the Union army built warehouses, shops, and other railroad facilities on the north side of the Arkansas River. The area became known as Huntersville, possibly for Union railroad superintendent William Hunter. The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad took possession of the site in 1865 and three rail lines terminated there. The remnants of Huntersville burned in a May 1872 fire.

No. 35

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
North Little Rock History Commission
Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council
Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior

2012

Back to List

Linking Policy