E-Newsletter

Grants! Civil War 150 Markers! Battlefield Preservation! ACWSC E-Newsletter

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Welcome to the e-newsletter of the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission. Newsletters will be sent out periodically to keep readers up to date on recent activities of the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, which is housed in the Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage. Please feel free to forward this newsletter to a friend.

For more information on the commission’s activities, or to subscribe to the e-newsletter, visit the ACWSC web site at http://www.arkansascivilwar150.com/. To become a fan of the ACWSC on Facebook, go to http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Arkansas-Civil-War-Sesquicentennial-Commission/279474924191?ref=ts.

IN THIS ISSUE:

ACWSC AWARDS $6,000 IN CIVIL WAR 150 GRANTS


GARLAND, WHITE COUNTY CIVIL WAR SESQUICENTENNIAL MARKERS APPROVED


FUNDRAISING EFFORT UNDERWAY TO ACQUIRE ELKINS’ FERRY BATTLEFIELD

**************************************************

ARKANSAS CIVIL WAR SESQUICENTENNIAL COMMISSION AWARDS GRANTS

LITTLE ROCK—The Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission has awarded $6,000 in grants for projects to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War, ACWSC Chairman Tom Dupree announced today.

Recipients of Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Grants were:

* Reed’s Bridge Battlefield Preservation Society, Inc., Jacksonville, $2,000 for its annual event to be held October 18

* New Little Rock Free Press, $2,000 for a series of articles on the Civil War in Arkansas in 1864 and 1865

* Dallas County Museum, Fordyce, $2,000 for the 151st anniversary re-enactment of the battle of Mark’s Mills.

Civil War Sesquicentennial Grants of up to $2,000 are awarded four times per year, as funding is available. The next deadline is Friday, November 14.

Grant applications and guidelines can be downloaded at http://www.arkansascivilwar150.com/historical-markers/grants.aspx, or can be requested by writing to ACWS Grants, 1500 Tower Building, 323 Center Street, Little Rock, AR 72201, sending an e-mail to acwsc@arkansasheritage.org, or calling (501) 324-9877.

Civil War Sesquicentennial Grants may be used for, but are not limited to, the following types of projects:

* Development of plans for local commemoration of the Civil War Sesquicentennial

* Speakers’ fees and materials for symposia, conferences and workshops

* Development of museum exhibits or interpretive materials related to local Civil War events

* Development of printed materials, educational software, films, or videos interpreting the Civil War in Arkansas.

For more information on sesquicentennial plans, visit http://www.arkansascivilwar150.com/ or e-mail acwsc@arkansasheritage.org.

The Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission is housed within the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission and the Historic Arkansas Museum.

**************************************************

ARKANSAS CIVIL WAR SESQUICENTENNIAL COMMISSION APPROVES TWO HISTORICAL MARKERS

LITTLE ROCK—The Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission has approved applications for Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Historical Markers in Garland and White counties, ACWSC Chairman Tom Dupree announced today.

The approved markers are:

* Skirmish at Farr’s Mill, commemorating a July 5, 1864, fight in Hot Springs, sponsored by the City of Hot Springs and to be placed at 629 Central Avenue

* Henry Morris House, commemorating the occupation of a White County farm by Union troops in 1862, sponsored by the White County Historical Society and to be placed at the Morris House at 288 Morris Drive in Bradford.

Through the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Historical Marker Program, the ACWSC works with local partners to help tell the stories of how the Civil War affected communities around the state. The Commission hopes that there will be at least one marker in each of the state’s 75 counties by the end of the commemoration in 2015. Counties that currently do not have Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Historical Markers are Ashley, Bradley, Calhoun, Conway, Craighead, Crawford, Drew, Franklin, Fulton, Hempstead, Hot Spring, Howard, Johnson, Lafayette, Lawrence, Montgomery, Newton, Polk, Pope, Randolph, Sevier and Sharp.

To date, 92 markers in 53 counties have been approved. Marker applications are available at http://www.arkansascivilwar150.com/historical-markers/markers.aspx.

**************************************************

EFFORTS UNDERWAY TO ACQUIRE, PROTECT ELKINS’ FERRY BATTLEFIELD

PRESCOTT, AR—The Nevada County Depot and Museum, in cooperation with the Prescott-Nevada County Economic Development Foundation, The Conservation Fund, The Civil War Trust and the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage, is working to acquire 448 acres of the Elkins’ Ferry Battlefield near Prescott, the museum board announced in a statement.

“A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acquire almost the entire Nevada County portion of the Elkins’ Ferry Battlefield has arisen, and we are working with local, state and national partners to see it through,” the statement said. “Once acquired, this battlefield, which is a National Historic Landmark, can be developed to attract heritage tourists and has the potential to make a major economic impact on our community.”

The Nevada County Depot and Museum has established a website at www.elkinsferry.weebly.com that will soon be able to receive donations and will monitor progress on the project. Pledges of $625,000 have already been made toward the project, leaving another $325,000 needed to complete the acquisition.

The battle at Elkins’ Ferry was fought on April 4 and 5, 1864, when Confederate cavalry under General John Sappington Marmaduke fought the leading elements of General Frederick Steele’s Union army as they sought to cross the Little Missouri River on their way to invade Louisiana. After sharp combat, the Confederates fell back to Prairie D’Ane. After skirmishing there for several days, Steele’s army ended up abandoning their drive south and instead diverted to Camden in search of supplies.

The National Park Service describes the Elkins’ Ferry Battlefield: “Elkins Ferry is among the most pristine Civil War battlefields in Arkansas. This rural area has only seen slight changes since the Civil War. Like other battlefields associated with the Camden Expedition of 1864, it offers a tremendous opportunity for preservation and interpretation of the entire historical landscape.” It was designated a National Historic Landmark on April 19, 1994.

Tax-deductible donations can be mailed to the Nevada County Depot and Museum, 403 West First Street South, Prescott, AR 71857; be sure to specify that they are targeted toward the Elkin’s Ferry Battlefield Preservation Project.


Linking Policy